Membership is composed of a parent representative from each of the Elementary and Secondary Catholic School councils. Members are elementary and secondary school parents who are chairpersons, and/or persons of that have been elected to sit on the Catholic School Council.
Composition of the Committee
- Parent Representation
- A Trustee
- Director of Education
- Community Representative
Mandate of the Parent Involvement Committee (PIC)
- Provide advice to the School Board on parent and guardians engagement and ways to communicate
- Developing strategies and initiatives that the Board can use to effectively engage parents and guardians in improving student achievement and well-being
- Sharing information and supporting the work of all School Councils in the School Board.
Role of the Parent Involvement Committee (PIC)
– Develop strategies and initiatives that the board and the board’s director of education could use to effectively communicate with parents and to effectively engage parents in improving student achievement and well-being;
– Advise the board and the board’s director of education on ways to use the strategies and initiatives referred to above
– Communicate information from the Ministry to school councils of schools of the board and to parents of pupils of the board;
– Work with school councils of schools of the board to,
(i) share effective practices to help engage parents, especially parents who may find engagement challenging, in their children’s learning,
(ii) identify and reduce barriers to parent engagement,
(iii) help ensure that schools of the board create a welcoming environment for parents of its pupils, and
(iv) develop skills and acquire knowledge that will assist the parent involvement committee and school councils of the board with their work.