Sudbury Catholic District School Board

Direction of School Support

The following information below is for property owners and tenants in Ontario who would like to change which school board they support through a portion of their property taxes. You can find information about which school board your property taxes support on your Property Assessment Notice.

Did you know as a property owner in Ontario, you are required to support a school system, even if you do not have children? By default, your property taxes support your municipality’s English public school board and will reset each time you move residences. In order to support Catholic Schools, you must declare yourself as an English Separate (Catholic) supporter. 

To change your direction of school support, follow the process below or download our pdf guide here.

Changing your School Board Support!

You can change the school board designation that MPAC has on file for you by filling out an application. Follow our step to step guide to complete this request by going to our Change School Board Support page.

*Please Note: If you are Catholic but your joint owner or leaseholder is not, and you want to change your designation to English Separate, you will also be required to complete and submit a Separate School Lease Agreement in addition to your application.

Why Change?

It’s important to regularly verify your tax-directed support by either checking your property tax bill or by speaking to your landlord to confirm. By doing so, you make a conscious decision to support the board that best reflects your educational preferences, and you will also be able to vote in that board’s next municipal election for trustees.

Criteria to Support the SCDSB

In order to change your school board support, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must own or lease a property.
  • You may direct school support to only one of the boards operating in your municipality. Note that not all school boards are available in all municipalities.
  • If you own or lease more than one property in a school board jurisdiction, all properties must support the same school board.

Need More Help?

If you require additional assistance, please contact the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) Customer Contact Centre Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 5 pm (EST) toll free at Toll Free 1 866 296-6722. Please have your 19-digit Roll number available (this can be found on your Property Assessment Notice).

Quick Links:

2022 Municipal & School Board Elections

Property Assessment Notice

SCDSB Direction of Support (pdf guide)

Application for Direction of School Support

Separate School Lease Agreement

Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC)

Register Now! E-mail Copied to Clipboard