Core French is taught as one subject within the Sudbury Catholic District School Board's Regular Program curriculum. Beginning in Grade 4, students receive 40 minutes of French instruction each day. SCDSB French teachers are all fluent in French and trained in second language education. A variety of books, audio-visual materials and computer programs are available throughout the board for classroom use.
French Language skills are taught through themes based on students' interests and experiences. Learning activities centre around listening, speaking, reading and writing, and are designed to prepare your child to apply their linguistic and cultural knowledge in real-life situations.
The goals for a high school graduate of our Core French program include:
• understand key ideas of written materials on familiar subjects
• follow oral instructions
• take part in simple conversations on everyday topics
• write short messages and letters
• appreciate the cultures of French-speaking people
• have the foundation to pursue fluency through post-secondary courses or living for a time in a French-speaking environment